(3) The secretary handles the administrative duties of the office.
b. One of the functions of the Chief is planning, controlling, and coordinating the
overall operation of the Division and all subordinate organizational components. This
(1) Selecting branch NCOICs, conducting staff meetings, reviewing operating
procedures used by the various branches, and other administrative management of the
(2) Working with the staff to improve timeliness of reports and filing of records
as well as the implementation of new directives and new computer technologies related to
(3) Monitoring the quality of medical records generated by the MTF for
compliance with requirements of the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospital
Organizations (JCAHO) and other regulatory directives through comprehensive records
review and audits by the medical records staff.
(4) Being the custodian of all medical records thereby ensuring confidentiality,
the safety of control mechanisms, accuracy, and timely filing. (The hospital commander
usually delegates this duty to the Chief.)
(5) Developing procedures for the MTF Administrative Officer of the Day (AOD).
Eighty to 90 percent of the AOD functions are related to patient administration procedures.
c. A further function of the Chief is maintaining close liaison with the Deputy
Commander for Clinical Services (DCCS), chiefs of departments and services, health care
providers, and chiefs of administrative divisions and offices to ensure prompt decisions on
matters pertaining to patient administration. This includes:
(1) Serving on various hospital committees such as the Quality Assurance
Committee, Executive Committee, Ambulatory Care Committee, Health Consumer
Committee, Risk Management Committee, Patient Care Assessment Committee, and
others as assigned.
(2) Providing administration and counseling for physical disability processing
and the administrative matters relating to medical board/physical evaluation board actions.
(3) Resolving or assisting in resolving problems relating to patient
(4) Serving as a liaison with physicians on medical records and administrative
reports such as VSI/SI and casualty reports.