personnel in basic first aid, in emergency medical treatment procedures, and in routine
care and treatment of patients.
(5) Medical specialist. These specialists administer emergency medical
treatment to battlefield casualties. They perform sorting and screening procedures to
identify the priority of care for patients. They perform field sanitation duties as required.
(6) Operating room specialist. This specialist helps in the environment
where the surgery is to be performed. The assists in preparing the patient for surgery
and provides to the surgeon during surgery. This specialist prepares and sterile
supplies and special equipment for the medical treatment
(7) Pharmacy specialist. The pharmacy specialist prepares, controls, and
issues pharmaceutical products. This specialist receives, interprets, compounds,
manufactures, fills, labels, and files prescriptions, bulk drugs, and unit dose orders.
(8) X-Ray specialist. The X-ray specialist operates fixed and portable x-ray
equipment. This specialist takes routine radiographs of the extremities, the trunk, and
the skull of patients. The enlisted specialist also serves as a member of the company's
field sanitation team.
(9) Medical laboratory specialists. These specialists perform elementary
clinical laboratory and blood banking procedures. They perform preventive
maintenance on laboratory equipment. They serve as members of the company's field
(10) Emergency medical treatment noncommissioned officer. This NCO
administers emergency medical treatment (EMT) to patients, performs triage (patient
sorting) to identify and classify patients for further treatment. This NCO may also serve
as supervisor of the company's field sanitation team. Instructs in first aid and
emergency medical treatment procedures.
c. Dental Section. The dental section provides emergency dental are,
preventive dentistry care and consultation services in the brigade area. It is typically
staffed with a general dental officer, a dental specialist and a hygienist.
(1) General dental officer. This officer examines, diagnoses, treats or
prescribes treatment for diseases, abnormalities, injuries and defects of teeth and their
(2) Dental specialist and hygienist. These specialists assist the dental
officer in prevention, in examinations and in treatment of diseases of the teeth and the
oral region. They perform dental x-rays. They requisition, receive, store, pack, unpack,
and safeguard dental supplies and equipment. They drive the unit vehicles and perform
operator maintenance on these vehicles.