d. Optometry Section. Provides optometric services, to include routine eye
examinations and refractions; fabricates pre-surfaced, prescription single-vision lens;
and provides optical repair services for all division elements. It is typically staffed with a
chief optometrist, an optometrist, an optical lab specialist and an eye specialist.
(1) Chief optometrist. The chief optometrist supervises the section and
performs eye examinations and treatment of vision disorders of non-medical or non-
(2) Optometrist. Performs eye examinations and treatment of vision
disorders of non-medical or non-surgical nature.
Optical lab specialist. Makes prescription lenses.
(4) Eye specialists. Performs routine diagnostic tests and administers
e. Mental Health Section. Provides professional division-wide medical health
services to minimize preventable mental health problems and associated personnel
losses to the division. It is typically staffed with a psychiatrist, a psychologist, a social
work officer and a behavioral science specialist.
(1) Psychiatrist. The psychiatrist plans and directs the mental health
program and diagnoses/prescribes treatment to personnel with emotional or mental
(2) Psychologist. The psychologist applies the principles of psychology to
resolve mental and behavioral disorders and to reduce incidents of preventable mental
(3) Social work officer. This officer assists personnel in resolving personal
and environmental difficulties in order to enhance their performance.
(4) Behavioral science specialists. They assist the psychiatrist, psychologist
and social worker in gathering social and psychological date to support patient
f. Patient Decontamination Section. A patient decontamination section that
provides the treatment platoon with decontamination capability in an NBC environment
can augment the MSB medical company.
4-45. HOLDING PLATOON
The holding platoon (Figure 4-16) provides a holding facility of 160 cots for
minimally ill or injured patients for up to 96 hours. It consists of a platoon headquarters
and four holding sections.