(5) Is fly breeding present?
e. Garbage cans. (AR 40-5)
(1) Are the cans and lids clean? Are garbage cans cleaned with soap and hot
water to maintain sanitary conditions?
(2) Are cans and lids mutually tight-fitting to prevent access to insects and
rodents, or are they dented and in poor repair?
(3) Are lids kept closed except when filling or emptying?
(4) Are garbage cans painted or whitewashed?
f. Sorting and handling of garbage and wastes. (AR 420-47)
(1) Are waste materials properly sorted in accordance with existing
(2) Is the collection cycle satisfactory?
(3) Are materials and wastes, which do not fit in cans neatly, arranged and
free of grease and food particles?
(4) Is the handling and care of garbage such that attraction of insects and
rodents is kept to a minimum?
(5) Are there enough cans to accommodate the maximum accumulation of
garbage -- over weekends, for example?
g. General cleanliness.
Is the surrounding area adequately policed to prevent the accumulation of
cigarette butts, peels, and other trash?
h. Insects and rodents. (AR 40-5)
(1) Is there an accumulation of filth and trash, which will attract flies and
rodents or provide possible breeding places?
(2) Is there evidence of insects and rodents in the area?