EXERCISES, LESSON 1
INSTRUCTIONS: The following exercises are to be answered by marking the lettered
response(s) that best answer(s) the question or best completes the incomplete
statement or by writing the answer in the space provided. For true/false exercises,
indicate whether the statement is true or false.
After you have completed all the exercises, turn to "Solutions to Exercises" at the
end of the lesson and check your answers.
The act or process of exposing a product to an adulterant or unwholesome
material is called __________________________.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR EXERCISES 2 THROUGH 7. Match the definition in
Column I with the appropriate term in Column II.
2. _____That characteristic possessed by a food
product that is conducive to good health and
well being in the consumer.
3. _____The surface of any equipment or other
material that contacts the product or
ingredients during processing.
4. _____The buildings, equipment, vehicles used to
handle, process, manufacture, assemble,
store, freeze, or transport foods.
5. _____Room or area in which processing occurs.
6. _____Any step in the manufacture or preparation
of a product into its final form.
7. _____Treatment of product zones by a process that
is effective in destroying vegetative cells of
pathogenic bacterial and in substantially
reducing other microorganisms.