PERFORM A CYCLIC INVENTORY
a. The officer responsible for the unit's property will ensure this inventory is
conducted. This inventory is performed when one of the following occurs.
The responsible officer of a unit keeping its own property book elects to
The property book is kept at other than unit level and the PBO requires
b. When the cyclic-inventory option has been chosen, use the following
(1) Conduct cyclic inventories monthly, quarterly, or semiannually.
Inventory about 10 percent of the property book items monthly, 25 percent quarterly, or
50 percent semiannually.
(2) If the location of hand- or subhand-receipt holders make the inventory of
a certain number of lines impractical, the PBO or responsible officer may choose that
specific hand or subhand receipts be completely inventoried.
(3) The PBO or responsible officer will designate, by memorandum, the
items to be inventoried.
(4) The responsible officer notifies hand- or subhand-receipt holders when
and how the inventory is to be conducted.
(5) Inventory the required items with the hand- or subhand-receipt holders.
Check the items to make sure the item and description on the hand or subhand receipt
match. Make a list of any differences.
(6) Make a visual check of the condition of the property. Make a list of any
(7) Check end items for completeness. Use the proper TM or SC to identify
components. Make sure component shortages are listed on hand-receipt shortage
annexes. Check the document register to make sure component shortages are on
request. Make a list of component shortages not listed in the hand-receipt shortage
annexes. Make a list of any component overages. In the event the most current
publication is not on-hand, take the action discussed in subparagraphs 3-4a(5) and (6).
(8) Check the serial number on the item with the serial number recorded on
the hand or subhand receipt. Make a list of any serial number differences.